Welcome to the best treehouse rentals in Illinois award show!
For the past few weeks, my boyfriend and I have spent hours on the road, exploring every inch of Illinois in search of the perfect treehouse. After scouring the internet for the best-rated treehouses, asking locals for recommendations, and spending weekends on quaint and centrally-located treehouses, we’ve finally narrowed it down to the top four.
We’ve stayed at incredible treehouses close to major cities like Aurora, Chicago, as far as Southern Illinois, and even lesser-known small towns like Nauvoo, Rockford, or Naperville. These treehouses are tucked in beautiful forests away from crowded cities and offer stunning views from prime locations.
Our goal with this article is to help you save time and money searching for the best treehouses in Illinois.
So, we’ve shared our experiences from staying at these treehouses and ranked them on amenities, convenient locations, the hosts, and value for money.
These treehouses are the best of the best in Illinois, so you’re bound to have a great time no matter which one you visit.
Let me see the top treehouse cabins in Illinois already!
Captains Quarters – Best Rural Treehouse in Illinois
My boyfriend and I always enjoy the best weekend getaways at the Captains Quarters, a relatively new addition to the Ten Acre Treehouse Forest in the small town of Nauvoo, Illinois. You’ll need to take a short uphill hike in the forest to reach the treehouse, which is well worth the peaceful cabin awaiting.
Spanning 400 square feet, this treehouse guarantees an incredible indoor camping experience, complete with forest views, a rustic compost toilet, and an outdoor hot water shower. My boyfriend instantly fell in love with the wraparound deck with a terrific gas grill, and we had a barbeque on it every night. In addition, our host, Bob, was a great guy and ensured we felt comfortable during our stay.
We loved a lot of things about the Captains Quarters treehouse, from which you can read the top three below:
- Location: The secluded forest location was the real deal, which ensured quiet, comfortable nights, and the sound of chirping birds waking you up in the morning.
- Amenities: There was a small kitchen with a refrigerator w/freezer, a microwave, coffee maker, plates, utensils, and an outhouse bathroom plus shower.
- Value: With a capacity for 4-6 people, the rental rates at Captain Quarters are unmatched and a great value for money.
Having stayed at so many subpar treehouses before, we really can’t find any point of complaint at the Captains Quarters treehouse. Although the lack of cell service can be a problem for some people, we enjoyed the rural feeling of spending time away from our phones.
- There are many small spaces to enjoy time alone at this treehouse, such as a cozy window seat for reading and napping.
- The second-floor bedroom has a 10′ vaulted ceiling and wide windows, which gives stunning panoramic views of the forest.
- The treehouse is well-furnished, always clean, airy, and has plenty of light.
- You can even bring your furry friends along for the trip at a $30 fee per night.
- There’s poor cellular service (but a short hike to the town can get you good signals.)
All in all, we had an amazing time at Captains Quarters treehouse on our visit, as it’s a serene and rustic place that helps you unwind and reconnect with nature. So make sure to check it out with your friends, family, and even solo, as it’s the best treehouse in Illinois.
Whitetail Treehouse – Best Couples Treehouse in Illinois
There’s no better getaway spot in Illinois than the Ten Acre Treehouse Forest, which is where you’ll find the terrific Whitetail treehouse. My boyfriend and I love taking the forest drive to this treehouse, located eight miles from the historic town of Nauvoo.
We love the cozy and private feeling of the Whitetail treehouse, which is ideal for couples as its single bedroom has a queen size bed, perfect to fit two people comfortably. Our host, Bob, was also very hospitable and ensured the treehouse was clean and had functioning amenities for our stay.
In addition, the wraparound deck is the treehouse’s best feature, which gives stunning views of the forest from all sides.
Those in search of a secluded spot for a romantic getaway will love the Whitetail Treehouse. Here are three reasons why we consider it the one of the best treehouses in Illinois:
- Close to town: Being so close to Nauvoo, you can drive there to grab a meal, explore the historic town, and visit the local wineries for great wine tasting.
- Amenities: The treehouse has a cozy living area, a half-bath with hot water, a sink, and a composting toilet. There’s also heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer.
- Views: The quaint forest all around offers an incredible view at day and night, and you can watch a gorgeous sunrise from the wraparound deck.
My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time at the Whitetail Treehouse and were at a loss to find fault with it. But if you travel during the winter months from December to March, there will be bottled water instead of running hot water. Since we traveled in spring, this wasn’t an issue for us.
- Bob, the host, is welcoming, friendly, and always a text away for anything you need.
- You’ll enjoy rustic forest views while enjoying modern-day facilities like a refrigerator, coffee pot, 32″ TV, and all the necessary plug-ins.
- For $30 a night, you can bring your pets along!
- There’s a sleeper sofa along with the bed, so families of up to four can stay here.
- You can fire up the treehouse’s grill for a delicious BBQ meal.
- You won’t find running hot water from December to March and will have to use bottled water instead.
Overall, the Whitetail treehouse is a terrific property to rent for a few days and spend time with nature. We had a great time here and recommend it to anyone looking for a well-kept treehouse with great facilities and views.
Cabin on the Creek – Best Treehouse in Southern Illinois
Last fall, my boyfriend and I stayed at Cabin on the Creek in Southern Illinois, and it was an incredible experience. Since the treehouse is conveniently located minutes from Alto Pass, you can drive here easily and enjoy staying on the private property, which is also a three-minute walk from the Alto Vineyards.
The spacious treehouse cabin is large enough to house six people and has a cozy living space, plus large windows overlooking the secluded forest and creek. We also loved the cabin’s easy access to many outdoor activities, such as taking a walk to Cave Creek and hiking on the many trails in the area.
In addition, our host Brian was a friendly guy and communicated well with us throughout our stay.
So if you’re looking for a comfortable treehouse in Southern Illinois where you can enjoy time in a gorgeous forest, come to Cabin on the Creek. Here are three reasons why we rate it as one of the best treehouses in Illinois.
- Comfort and convenience: You’ll be one with nature and still have modern facilities at this treehouse, which has a fully equipped kitchen, a screened porch, a fire pit, a hot tub, central heating, air conditioning, and all essential electronics.
- Great outdoor activities: The treehouse is close to Giant City, which has great hiking trails in the Shawnee National Forest, and Little Grassy, which offers kayak and boat rentals.
- Value: For a super clean, well-furnished, and maintained treehouse which can house six people, Cabin on the Creek offers the best value for money.
My boyfriend and I were fond of our time at Cabin on the Creek, and can hardly say anything bad about our stay. But be warned that there’s no wifi in the unit, so you will need to bring your own. We were made aware of this by the host beforehand, so we ended up without any problems.
- You can go on a wine trail adventure to the nearby Alto Vineyard.
- The screened porch is an ideal place to dine, read and relax while taking in views of the forest.
- Families with children will love roasting s’mores and telling ghost stories around the fire pit next to the creek.
- You can explore hundreds of plant and flower species and even go horseback riding in the nearby Shawnee National Forest.
- There’s no wifi in the cabin (but good cell connectivity.)
- You’ll have to bring bottled drinking water, as the cabin doesn’t offer any.
So if you’re looking for a staycation in Illinois that’s not too far from the main cities, head to Cabin on the Creek. The secluded location and great amenities make it one of the best treehouses in Illinois.
Enchanted Garden Treehouse – Best Treehouse for Families in Illinois
My boyfriend and I visited the Enchanted Garden Treehouse on a local’s recommendation for a private weekend stay and fell in love with it! Located 45 minutes from downtown Chicago in Schaumburg, the Enchanted Garden Treehouse is the real deal (not just propped on stilts) and offers an authentic treehouse experience.
We had an incredible time staying here and enjoyed stunning views from the beautiful cedar house, which is set fifteen feet above a waterfall and Koi pond. In addition, this treehouse is ideal for families with children since there’s a teepee in the backyard, a hot tub, lawn bowling in the yard, a fire pit, and much more.
In addition, the host, Daniel, is friendly and helpful and keeps the treehouse in terrific shape for guests.
We had a really peaceful stay at the Enchanted Garden Treehouse, and the top-notch facilities here make it the best treehouse in Illinois. Here are three reasons why you’ll agree:
- The natural views: Being fifteen feet off the ground, this treehouse is on eye level with trees in the yard, and you’ll enjoy unmatched views of the surrounding forest.
- Amenities: There are private outdoor showers, a fireplace, air conditioning, a full-size bed and twin sleeping loft, a private deck, a kitchenette with sink and appliances, wifi, and TV.
- Location: The treehouse is conveniently located half an hour from Chicago and close to the O’Hare Airport.
My boyfriend and I had a great time at the Enchanted Garden Treehouse and could hardly find any negatives about the place. However, facilities like the outdoor shower and teepee are unavailable in the winter.
- The treehouse is eco-friendly, with Pella windows and a private nature’s head composting toilet.
- The area is a winter wildlife refuge with tons of birds, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, and even hawks.
- The teepee has two comfy padded cots, lights, and a fake fire pit flame, which kids will love staying in.
- Outdoor amenities include a hammock, a permanent fire pit with wood for a small fire, a gas fire table, and a grill.
- The host family is multi-racial and welcomes all, plus the treehouse is 420-friendly.
- You can’t use outdoor facilities like showers and sinks in the winter.
- Using the teepee costs an extra $100.
So if you need to find a haven in the woods, head to the Enchanted Garden Treehouse, whose cozy atmosphere makes it one of the best treehouses in Illinois.
Wrap-Up: The Best Treehouse in Illinois
When it comes to spending blissful days among nature, away from the city rush, there’s no better state than Illinois. That’s because there are beautiful forests and quaint towns where you can relax and unwind by staying in gorgeous treehouses.
So if you want well-maintained accommodations in Illinois, look no further and rent any of the top four treehouses mentioned in this article.
Need a family-friendly treehouse in Illinois? Book a weekend at the Enchanted Garden Treehouse in Schaumburg.
Want to spend a couple’s weekend in Illinois? Book the secluded Whitetail Treehouse in the Ten Acre Treehouse Forest.
Looking for the best rustic treehouse in Illinois? Don’t miss the spacious Captains Quarters Treehouse near Nauvoo.
The best treehouses in Illinois have something fun for everyone!
Top Treehouse Cabins in Illinois
|Ten Acre Treehouse Forest, Nauvoo, Illinois
|400 sq ft, forest views, compost toilet, outdoor hot water shower, wraparound deck with gas grill
|Many private spaces, panoramic forest views from second-floor bedroom, well-furnished, pet-friendly ($30/night)
|Poor cellular service
|Eight miles from Nauvoo, Illinois
|Single bedroom with queen bed, wraparound deck
|Close to Nauvoo for dining and wine tasting, modern amenities (heating, AC, TV), rustic forest views, pet-friendly ($30/night), suitable for families of four (sleeper sofa)
|No running hot water from Dec-Mar
|Cabin on the Creek
|Minutes from Alto Pass, Southern Illinois
|Fits six people, large windows, near outdoor activities like hiking and kayaking
|Wine trail adventure at nearby Alto Vineyard, screened porch, fire pit by the creek, horseback riding in nearby Shawnee National Forest
|No wifi, need to bring bottled drinking water
|Enchanted Garden Treehouse
|Schaumburg, 45 mins from downtown Chicago
|Set 15 feet above a waterfall and Koi pond, ideal for families (teepee in the backyard, hot tub, lawn bowling, fire pit)
|Eco-friendly, winter wildlife refuge, teepee with padded cots and fake fire pit flame for kids, outdoor amenities include a hammock and gas fire table, welcoming host family, 420-friendly
|Outdoor facilities unavailable in winter, teepee costs extra
Last Updated on October 27, 2023 by Brian