Looking for a secluded cabin escape in Iowa for 2024? Let us help you!
For our anniversary, my boyfriend and I took a trip through Iowa and stayed in as many secluded cabin rentals as we could find.
We came across some beautiful cabins with nearby outdoor recreation, modern amenities, beautiful views, and much more – perfect for a secluded escape.
Our trip led us to beautiful locations like the Yellow River, Cedar Rapids, Backbone State Park, Fort Atkinson, the Mississippi River, and scenic Madison County.
We loved every minute of our trip!
We stayed in each cabin and carefully analyzed and ranked the best cabins based on the Iowa location, privacy, amenities, and value.
There are amazing options on our list for families, friends, and romantic getaways for couples (If that’s more your style!)
The goal of this article is to save you money and time while presenting the very best secluded cabin rentals the state has to offer.
Each cabin is guaranteed to offer an amazing getaway!
Let’s get lost in some amazing secluded cabins!
Source: Vrbo.com, Secluded escape in NE Iowa, perfect for 3 couples or small family groups
Serenity Valley: Secluded Escape in Beautiful Log Cabin (Family Vacation Rentals)
Source: Vrbo.com, Secluded escape in NE Iowa, perfect for 3 couples or small family groups
This is one of the best cabins in Iowa – and our favorite!
We loved the spacous three bedrooms, each one with a full bath, and a master bedroom with a king-size bed. The living space is cozy and comfortable, with an indoor fireplace, a well-equipped kitchen, and log beams providing perfect decor.
It’s a really cozy abode that sleeps up to six guests.
You will love the outdoor space with two ponds and a creek (kayaks are provided, bring your fishing pols!)
There is a covered deck and a spacious yard with lots of outdoor seating, including a picnic table, hammock, and gazebo. We loved the outdoor fire pit.
If you love the great outdoors, Serenity Valley is conveniently located near the Upper Iowa River and Echo Valley State Park – so check out the hiking trails.
The amazing location is perfect for all kinds of outdoor activities.
Make sure to book this secluded getaway, as it’s one of the best cabins in Iowa!
Here’s why you’ll agree:
- The outdoor space: The yard, ponds, and decks are all excellent here. There is so much space, and lush trees surround the property.
- The accommodations: You will love all the comforts of home in this cabin; the bedrooms are spacious, the living space is cozy, and the kitchen is fully equipped for making great meals.
- The outdoor activities: We loved using the provided kayaks, trying out some catch-and-release fishing, and swimming in the pond. There are also biking trails and great hiking nearby.
There’s not much to complain about in this rental! The only thing to consider is that the hosts live on the upper level of the cabin. But believe me, they are so respectful – you won’t notice them.
- Light up the gas grill and enjoy a private outdoor meal.
- Enjoy star gazing at night from the large deck.
- Gather around the outdoor fire pit for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs.
- Cool off in the private lake.
- Kayak or fish, right on the property.
- The hosts live on the upper level of the cabin (but offer a lot of privacy to the guests!)
The Knotty Pine Guest House: Cozy Cabin on Secluded Acreage – (Outside Of Fort Atkinson)
Source: Vrbo.com, Cozy Log Cabin On Secluded Acreage ~ Located Outside Of Fort Atkinson
The Knotty Pine Guest House is are close second pick!
The Northeast Iowa cabin with rustic decor has an open floor plan, vaulted ceilings with exposed log beams, and a gas fireplace – for a cozy log cabin feel.
There are two bedrooms on the main floor, each with a queen bed, and a third sleeping loft suite with a king-size bed and a private bathroom. We loved the spacious living room, fully equipped kitchen, and air conditioning (it was hot when we visited!)
The cabin sleeps up to eight guests.
You will love the outdoor space with a covered front porch and a large deck.
The cabin is in a lovely rural setting.
This cabin provides an unforgettable and relaxing getaway.
Here’s why it’s one of the best:
- The cozy interior: The decor in this cabin is perfect, with vaulted ceilings, log cabin decor, and a beautiful fireplace.
- Peaceful location: We loved the secluded property at the end of the gravel road – surrounded by trees and a spacious private yard.
- The value: You will love the price of this cabin, especially since it can sleep up to eight guests. It’s a great value for the money.
We didn’t find much wrong with this rental – and would visit again. Small upgrades can be done on some of the furniture (in the family room), like a larger couch.
- Drive to Decorah for some amazing hiking trails with waterfalls.
- Prepare an outdoor meal on the spacious deck.
- Curl up with a good book next to the indoor fireplace.
- Enjoy your morning coffee to the sound of the birds and the trees.
- Check out historic Fort Atkinson.
- Some of the furniture can be updated – but nothing major.
The Mississippi River Cabin: A Family-Friendly Cabin Getaway
Source: Vrbo.com, Private 10 acre Family Friendly Cabin, zipline minutes from Mississippi River
Welcome to the Mississippi River cabin! This is one of the best cabin rentals in Iowa for families. It has a playground and lots of toys and board games for the whole family.
The cabin sleeps up to eight people.
We enjoyed the comfortable family room and all the amenities, including a fully equipped and well-stocked kitchen, air conditioning, a washer and dryer, and comfortable beds.
However, we spent most of our time outside, enjoying the yard and covered deck. We took full advantage of the gas grill and outdoor fire pit (there are two!)
If you love outdoor recreation, this is the perfect spot for you. Being so close to the Yellow River State Forest and Mississippi River, there is plenty to do – we enjoyed hiking, winery tours, boating, and water tubing.
Make sure to check out the Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
Book this ideal property for your family – or a romantic weekend getaway.
Here are three reasons you’ll love staying here:
- The property: The cabin is located on a huge private land with lots of walking trails and wildlife. It’s really peaceful.
- The location: You will love having nearby access to the river and the Yellow River State Forest while still enjoying nearby restaurants and bars.
- The amenities: We loved having all the modern amenities and comforts and felt pampered.
- Gather around the outdoor fire pit for drinks.
- Light up the grill for a private outdoor meal.
- Spend the day on the river boating, tubing, or fishing.
- Enjoy playing board games in the evening.
- Take a relaxing walk on the property.
- There is a second cabin on the property, but it’s far away – you will still have full privacy.
The Large Log Cabin: Perfect for Family Reunions Across East Lake Okoboji (near Spirit Lake)
Source: Vrbo.com, Log Cabin located on nearly 2 acres across from East Lake Okoboji
This is one of the largest cabin rentals in Iowa. It has four bedrooms for up to 14 guests; all well-furnished with comfortable beds and cozy log decor.
The oversized windows bring in a lot of natural light.
We loved all the amenities, like the fully stocked kitchen, stainless steel appliances, and washer and dryer. (I even used the treadmill!)
My boyfriend loved the game room with a pool table, darts, and foosball table – he beat me at everything!
We spent a lot of time outside cooking. We loved the charcoal grill!
There is a large deck, a spacious yard, and an outdoor fire pit area for a fun fire ring.
The lake access is great – check out Spirit Lake. Elinor Bedell State Park is minutes away.
Book this spacious and secluded cabin for family gatherings or a group of friends.
Here’s why you’ll have a great time here:
- The amenities: We enjoyed all the comfortable furniture, spacous sleeping areas, and modern appliances in the cabin. The game room and fire pit are a bonus!
- The location: The lakeside location is perfect for soaking up the sun, swimming, or taking relaxing walks.
- The value: The cabin comfortably sleeps up to 14 people, so the value for the money is great.
Not much wrong with this property. We had an awesome time. I could only mention that the sleeping loft doesn’t have much privacy, so it’s better suited for children than adults.
- Try out different water sports on the lakes.
- Enjoy family meals outside.
- Gather around the fire pit for storytime.
- Have some drinks in the game room while playing pool and darts.
- Observe the star-filled sky at night from the large deck.
- The loft lacks privacy for sleeping, so it’s best suited for children.
The Timber Creek Cabin: Best Couples Romantic Getaway Cabin (overlooking Des Moines River)
Source: Airbnb.com, Timber Creek Cabin
Welcome to the cozy one-bedroom and one-bath Iowa cabin.
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our alone time in this simple yet beautiful cabin with stunning waterfront access and a view overlooking the Des Moines River.
Most of our time was spent enjoying the view on the covered outdoor deck with a seating area. We saw lots of wildlife.
We even saw eagles flying across the river.
You will love the interior with a small but well-equipped kitchen, wood-burning fireplace (stove), comfortable bedroom with a queen-size bed, and impeccably clean bathroom.
I loved the simple decor without any clutter. Make sure to enjoy the charcoal grill and outdoor fire pit.
We loved dining at Misty’s Malt Shop.
Here are the reasons you’ll want a romantic weekend in this cabin:
- The view: There’s nothing more relaxing than sitting on the porch enjoying a panoramic view of the river.
- The peaceful location: We enjoyed the trees surrounding the cabin with a private yard, picnic table, and fire pit.
- Cozy interior: If you like simple decor without clutter (like me), you will love the cozy cabin furniture, relaxing views, and intimate atmosphere.
We loved this couple’s getaway spot. The only thing I need to mention is that the access to the cabin has lots of outside stairs. It might be difficult for older adults.
- Enjoy a peaceful BBQ in the private yard.
- Relax with a cup of coffee overlooking the river.
- Light the fire pit and make some smores.
- Visit the small-town diners and restaurants.
- Observe all the wildlife and birds right off the covered deck.
- Access to the cabin might be difficult for some – there are about 15 stairs.
Wrapping up: The best-secluded cabins in Iowa.
There’s no better way to enjoy a relaxing weekend getaway than staying at one of Iowa’s secluded cabins. The state offers amazing locations with outdoor recreation for couples and families.
We have the best cabin rentals for you in this article, so scroll back up and book your favorite!
Need a cabin for a large group of people? Check out The Large Log Cabin near Spirit Lake.
Looking for a peaceful log cabin? Stay at the Serenity Valley Cabin.
Want a family-friendly getaway? Book The Mississippi River Cabin.
Iowa cabins have everything you need to unwind and escape city life!
What are the common cabin features in Iowa cabin rentals?
Iowa cabin rentals have great features and amenities. Most are located in great locations, near outdoor activities, lakes, rivers, and national parks. Each has a comfortable interior with modern appliances, fully equipped kitchens, and spacious outdoor seating. Most have fire pits, grills, and covered decks. Some cabins even have hot tubs or jetted tubs to relax in.
What are some amazing locations to visit from secluded cabins in Iowa?
Iowa is a state full of beautiful rivers, lakes, and forests. Some key locations that are easily accessible from the secluded cabins on our list include the Mississippi River, Yellow River, Cedar Rapids, Backbone State Park, Fort Atkinson, and the Des Moines River.
What vacation rentals in Iowa are great for couples?
Whether you are looking for a cozy two-person cabin or a spacious log cabin for a romantic getaway, we have a cabin for you.
Check out the cozy Timber Creek Cabin with stunning panoramic views of the Des Moines River. The one-bedroom, one-bath cabin is peaceful, with modern amenities and comforts for a perfect getaway.
Another great choice is The Knotty Pine Guest House, located on a large secluded property near Fort Atkinson. The cabin offers three bedrooms, a spacious living room, a front porch, a large back deck, and all the amenities of a real home.
Last Updated on February 10, 2024 by Brian