Welcome to the best treehouse rentals in New Zealand awards show!
My boyfriend and I love the gorgeous natural setting of New Zealand and have spent a few summers vacationing here. So on our last trip, we decided to map the best treehouse rental in the country for a relaxing getaway.
Of course, we only wanted to find the best treehouses, so we consulted locals, took help from online reviews, and tested each treehouse by staying for a few days. Our search led us to places close to Auckland, secluded havens in Punakaiki, Raglan, and remote forests, which had stunning views and great facilities.
So after much back and forth and weighing the pros and cons, we narrowed it down to the top five treehouses in New Zealand, ranked on amenities, locations, hosts, and overall value.
Our goal with this article is to help you save time and money in finding the best New Zealand treehouse by sharing our personal experiences. So each rental mentioned below is the best of the best, and you’ll have a wonderful stay no matter which one you pick.
Warning: These magical rentals are known to cast a spell on tourists making them never want to leave (I know, lame, but so true!)
Let’s check out the best New Zealand tree houses!
Punakaiki Tree House Lodge – Best Treehouse Rental for Families in New Zealand
Source: booking.com Punakaiki Tree House Lodge
My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Punakaiki treehouse lodge and had a fantastic time. The treehouse is nestled in a lush jungle in the West Coast region of New Zealand while being close to the beach and great hiking trails.
We loved the open-plan living space in this tree house, which includes a comfortable bed, a balcony offering garden views, a private bathroom, and even a small kitchenette. We loved having this small abode to return to after a day of exploring the jungle and beach, cooking meals in the kitchen, and enjoying them on the beautiful balcony.
In addition, the hosts were friendly and responsive and made sure our stay was comfortable.
So book the Punakaiki tree house lodge, an ideal getaway for nature lovers and the best treehouse rental in New Zealand. Here’s why:
- The amenities: The treehouse comes with a bed and bathroom fitted with the essentials, a kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, stove, and basic cooking utensils, a seating area for dining indoors, and a lounging space outdoors, a flat screen TV, private parking and an electric charging station downstairs.
- The location: The treehouse is minutes from Punakaiki beach and a quick walk to the Truman track, leading to great hiking and nature trails.
- The views: Guests can enjoy stunning views of the forest and lush trails from the tall glass windows framing the bedroom, the balcony, and the garden space below.
We had a relaxing time at this treehouse rental and were at a loss to find fault with it. However, guests should note that it gets very hot in the treehouse during the summer months due to the lack of air conditioning.
- The rental is clean, well-maintained, and nicely furnished.
- The host stays in communication with guests and responds well to queries.
- From the nearby jungle, you can spot native birds and wildlife.
- The treehouse is fitted with all the amenities you need for a relaxing stay.
- There are gorgeous beaches, trails, and ocean views minutes away.
- There is a lack of air conditioning which makes the place get warm quickly.
- You can hear loud noises from the neighboring rentals due to the treehouse’s thin walls.
Overall, we had a terrific time at the Punakaiki tree house, and we recommend it to couples and solo travelers as it’s a beautiful treehouse in a jungle.
Hapuku Lodge & Tree Houses – Best Tree House Hotel in New Zealand
Source: booking.com Hapuku Lodge & Tree Houses – Best Tree House Hotel
My boyfriend and I were looking for treehouse hotels in New Zealand and were recommended the Hapuku lodge in South Island by a local. We ended up staying here for a few days and had the most amazing time. The lodge consists of a 10 m high tree house which we rented, surrounded by gorgeous forestry and close to great cycling and biking trails.
The rentals feature a deliciously comfortable bed with fresh linens, a cozy seating area with a gas fireplace, a two-person spa bath, and a balcony overlooking the property. However, our favorite part was enjoying the hotel facilities, which included gourmet meals prepared from fresh ingredients, complimentary drinks from the bar, and amazing all-around service.
So book the Hapuku lodge treehouse for your next vacation in New Zealand, as it’s one of the best treehouse hotels. Here’s why you’ll agree:
- Attention to detail: The hotel staff and managers pay close attention to guest needs with details like complimentary snacks and drinks available at all times, plus comfy robes for all sizes, great bedding, a deep acrylic bath with scented candles in the bathroom, heated bathroom floors and so much more!
- The communal spaces: The hotel has many community spaces for guests to enjoy, such as a hot tub area, a seating room with a large fireplace, a spa center, an onsite restaurant and bar, an outdoor pool, and expansive gardens.
- The amenities: Each rental is air-conditioned and has a flat screen TV, DVD player, iPod dock, high-speed Wi-Fi, a dining setting, a refrigerator and tea and coffee-making facilities, and a private bathroom with a rain shower.
Our time at this treehouse hotel was fantastic and without any complaints. However, guests should note that the rooms get pretty warm at night time despite the air conditioning.
- The treehouse is clean, well-maintained, and beautifully furnished.
- The staff are efficient and take great care of guests.
- The breakfast and dinner meals are included in your stay.
- The Ohau stream walkway is a short drive away.
- There is free parking onsite.
- The rentals get very warm at night despite the air conditioning.
- The lodge has a somewhat remote location, so you’ll be far from the most famous attractions.
Overall, we were completely in awe of the treehouse rental at this lodge, and we recommend it to both couples and families visiting New Zealand.
Tui Treehouse – Best North Island Tree house
Source: booking.com Tui Treehouse – Best north island Tree house
If you’re looking for a glamping-style vacation rental in New Zealand, book the Tui Ridge treehouse cabins, which are nestled in beautiful fruit orchids, and promise a perfect recluse for nature lovers. My boyfriend and I also had a wonderful time at this eco house, close to waterfalls, hot water swimming pools, and surrounded by giant Kauri trees.
There are treehouses for families, small groups, and couples at the Tui Ridge, fitted with all the essentials you need for a relaxing stay. We particularly loved the garden views from the balcony, cooking meals in the dining space separate from the main house, and using the guest BBQ in the summer house.
In addition, the rentals are hosted by Kirsten and Mike, who are terrific hosts and ensure your stay is comfortable.
So book this gorgeous house for an eco-friendly rental option, as it’s one of the best in New Zealand. Here’s why:
- The outdoor activities: Guests can enjoy swimming and surfing from gorgeous beaches within walking distance from the property, explore nature and hiking trails nearby, tour the owner’s farmland where they grow fruits and vegetables, and even walk to the nearby river.
- The amenities: The rentals have comfortable beds, shared glamping-style bathrooms, a cooking and dining space, a BBQ grill, outdoor seating areas, and a laundry space.
- The location: The Kaimai Ranges, with short walks and tramps, are nearby, plus waterfalls, hot water swimming pools, harbor access to launch small boats, and safe swimming from the river. The location is also an easy drive to Auckland and the airport.
Although our stay here was fantastic, we could have used some air conditioning or a heating source as it got hot during the day and cold at night.
- The treehouse was well-maintained and minimally furnished.
- The hosts are friendly and accommodating.
- There are great communal spaces for cooking, cleaning, and socializing.
- The treehouses offer complete privacy and a peaceful stay.
- There are beautiful gardens, trails, and water bodies close by.
- There is a lack of hot water in the shower.
- There is no heating or air conditioning system in place.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Tui treehouse rentals, and they’re ideal for people looking for a glamping treehouse in New Zealand.
Away Treehouse & Forest Spa – Most Unique Treehouse Rentals in New Zealand
Source: airbnb.com Away Treehouse & Forest Spa
My boyfriend and I were looking for a unique place to stay on our trip and came across this rural treehouse on Waiheke Island’s beautiful eastern end. We fell in love with this treehouse at first sight, which is nestled among native trees, has a forest spa center, and has spectacular views of the surrounding forest.
We had a great time at this treehouse, an octagonal compound with an open-plan living space, a comfortable bed, an indoor fireplace, and cozy seating for lounging and dining. However, our favorite feature was the wraparound deck, which offers a viewing platform over the forest canopy and gives the most breathtaking views of this forest.
In addition, the treehouse is hosted by Sanna, who’s a terrific host and ensures your stay is comfortable.
So book the Away treehouse for a couple’s weekend getaway or adult’s only trip, as it’s one of the best treehouse rentals in New Zealand. Here’s why:
- The amenities: The interior includes a comfortable queen bed with high-quality cotton bedding, a wood-burning stove for cooking and heating, a full kitchen area, a private bathroom, a dining/working area, and ample seating on the wrap around deck.
- The spa treatments: Guests can enjoy treatments from a qualified therapist such as a full body massage, body scrub, uplift facial, forest bathing in the private outdoor tub, couples body scrub, bath salts, and much more.
- The attention to detail: The owners have put a lot of thought in making the rental a special place to live, with details like a high untreated timber ceiling, organic products, filtered rainwater for drinking, and full reception at the entrance.
However, before booking, guests should note that the rental does not have Wi-Fi and limited cell service due to its remote location.
- The treehouse is clean, spacious, and well-maintained.
- The hosts are friendly and accommodating.
- There are ample facilities for cooking and cleaning.
- The treehouse is eco-friendly.
- There is an outdoor hot tub and spa treatments available.
- There is no Wi-Fi and limited cell service in the treehouse.
- The remote location makes it far from most attractions in New Zealand.
Overall, we had a great time at the Away treehouse, and we recommend it to couples looking for a magic faraway tree house in New Zealand.
Raglan Treehouse – Best Couples Treehouse Rentals in New Zealand
Source: airbnb.com Raglan Treehouse – Best Family Treehouse Rentals in New Zealand
My boyfriend and I were in search of a treehouse for a romantic getaway in New Zealand and came across the Raglan treehouse. This gorgeous rental has a secluded location on a 35-acre property, close to the coast, and amazing views over pastures, native bush, and the ocean.
We had an incredible time at this treehouse, which can easily accommodate three people from its cozy loft bedroom and couch, plus an indoor bathroom and outdoor tub. However, our favorite part was the expansive deck, where we enjoyed many meals, drinks, and quiet conversations.
In addition, we had the most wonderful hosts, Guillaume And Tara, who ensured our stay was wonderful with their generous hospitality.
So book the Raglan treehouse for a couple’s getaway, as it’s the best treehouse rental in New Zealand. Here’s why:
- The spaces: The treehouse has a beautiful loft bedroom, a living and dining area downstairs, a fully-equipped kitchen, a private bathroom, a deck out front with space for lounging, dining, and taking a dip, and full access to the expansive property.
- The amenities: There’s a gas stovetop, fridge, and sink in the kitchen, a hot shower and clawfoot outdoor bath, a comfy couch, a queen bed with luxury linens, battery-powered LED lights, a gas heater, a BBQ grill, and ample outdoor seating.
- The comfort and convenience: Guests will enjoy being completely secluded in the natural setting of this treehouse. The hosts provide organic coffees, teas, cooking basics, all bed linens, towels, bathroom and cleaning products, candles, books, and even a Bluetooth speaker.
The only issues we faced at this treehouse were minor and resolved easily. For example, there’s no cooling system in place, so it gets hot and night, and there’s no Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The treehouse is clean, well-maintained, and nicely furnished.
- The hosts are friendly and accommodating.
- There are complimentary goods and essentials provided.
- You can enjoy many outdoor activities from the natural location.
- The treehouse offers complete privacy in its setting.
- There is no cooling system in place, so it gets hot at night.
- There is no Wi-Fi in the treehouse.
Overall, we loved our time at the Raglan tree house and recommended it to couples and small groups looking for a secluded getaway in New Zealand.
What are the best Nest tree houses in New Zealand?
The Nest tree houses in Canterbury are some of the most famous treehouse rentals in New Zealand for their ideal location and facilities. Guests at these treehouses can enjoy staying in a comfortable treehouse apartment, enjoy mountain views from the balcony, plus a continental breakfast, spa facilities such as a hot tub and sauna, and much more.
What are the Best treehouse hotels in New Zealand?
If you’re looking for hotel-like accommodations in New Zealand, book the Hapuku treehouse lodge and the Punakaiki treehouses. These treehouse hotels promise amazing amenities, round-the-clock service, beautiful locations, and all the hotel facilities you would expect in a five-star hotel.
Winding Up The Best Treehouse Rentals in New Zealand
If you need a vacation rental for your trip to New Zealand, book the island’s gorgeous treehouses, which offer a secluded getaway in the forest, on waterfronts, and facing the mountains while having all the modern amenities you’re used to.
So don’t waste more time and make your family vacation, couple’s getaway, or solo adventure to New Zealand extra special with the amazing treehouse recommendations mentioned in this article.
Need a family-friendly treehouse rental? Book the Punakaiki treehouse lodge.
Want a couple’s getaway in New Zealand? Don’t miss the Raglan treehouse.
Looking for the best treehouse hotel in New Zealand? Book the Hapuku lodge.
The best New Zealand treehouses have everything you need and more!
Last Updated on December 11, 2023 by Brian