Nature lovers and adventurers gather for the best treehouses South Africa offers!
My boyfriend and I have been waiting a long time to visit the majestic destinations of South Africa. That’s why we were so excited to explore every possible treehouse the country offered and find amazing and unique tree houses for an authentic vacation.
We’ve consulted many online reviews, asked the locals for recommendations, and stayed in each treehouse to get the true experience of each one. Our adventure took us to the best treehouses with beautiful views, modern amenities, and luxurious accommodations, and we were surrounded by indigenous forests far from city life.
South Africa is an ideal place to explore nature’s beauty, so we had difficulty narrowing our choices to the top seven treehouses. After much consideration, we decided on our top choices based on location, beautiful views, amenities, host interaction, and overall experiance.
Our goal with this article is to save you time and money while taking you to some amazing treehouses to help you experience the true beauty of South Africa and relax. You can trust that each one of these carefully picked rentals will provide you with a peaceful and rejuvenating retreat.
So let’s stop talking about it and start planning – jump into your perfect treehouse hideaway now!
Pezulu Tree House Lodge (Family Bungalow) – The Best Family South Africa Treehouse Hotels with outdoor pool
Source: Booking.com, Pezulu Tree House Lodge, South Africa treehouse rentals
We loved staying at one of the top treehouse hotels in South Africa and had plenty of space in the family bungalow (two bedrooms), which sleeps up to six guests. The property is stunning, and the service is great. They provide room service and breakfast; a great restaurant, bar garden, and outdoor pool are available.
We loved our treehouse because it was private, surrounded by lush trees and well-manicured laws. The oversized windows made the interior flush with natural light, and we spent much time on the spacious wooden deck. We appreciated the fully equipped kitchen. The organized tour to Manyeleti private game reserve was fun.
My boyfriend and I loved the Pezulu Tree House Lodge, with luxury treehouse options for everyone’s needs. Here are three reasons you will love staying here:
- Amenities: The property has all the comforts of home and many above-and-beyond features like an outdoor pool, shower, soaking tub with a view, spacious wooden deck, and outdoor fireplace.
- Service: The staff is friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. They keep everything clean with daily service and provide great tours with knowledgeable guides.
- Location: The resort is close to the airport, city life, and nature reserves. We loved the Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre.
This place was our top choice treehouse rental for diverse activities and comfort. It was hard to find a fault. However, the WiFi is weak and often unavailable, which is a factor when you need it for work.
- Wake up surrounded by trees and the peaceful sound of birds.
- Enjoy breakfast at the resort and take an organized tour.
- Cool off in the outdoor swimming pool on hot summer days.
- Gather around the outdoor fireplace at night and watch the stars.
- This rental has unreliable and weak WiFi.
Teniqua Treetops, One-Bedroom Suite in Knysna – The Best Luxurious treehouse for Couples
Source: Booking.com, Teniqua Treetops, One-Bedroom Suite in Knysna
We loved the ideal location of this resort, along the Garden Route between Knysna and Sedgefield. My boyfriend and I rented the one-bedroom treehouse and had everything we needed for an amazing stay. The common area also has two shared swimming pools and a bar.
Our treehouse was nestled in a treetop canopy with plenty of privacy. I loved the jetted tub with a view, en suite bathroom, and endless forest views. We loved grilling in the evenings on the large wooden deck. The location was stunning, and we loved visiting the Sedgefield beaches.
This rental is one of the unique handmade treehouses and the best treehouse for small families and couples. Here’s why you’ll want to book it now:
- Luxury comforts: The treehouse is well maintained and clean, with luxurious views, appliances, a sun terrace, and furniture. The oversized windows make you feel like you are in the middle of the forest.
- Great location: There are great places to visit nearby, including the Sedgefield beaches, the Outeniqua mountain range, and Garden Route Trail Park.
- Resort amenities: The resort offers a great bar and swimming pools to enjoy during the stay, with lots of wild animals to see right on the property.
The Teniqua Treetops treehouse hotels are a great place to stay. However, our treehouse had no air conditioning, and the nights got hot.
- Spend quality time reading or enjoying the views from the deck.
- Take a short walk to observe wildlife and birds on the property.
- Observe the peaceful night sky from the outside seating area.
- Have drinks at the resort bar.
- Soak in your jetted tub with a view.
- There is no air conditioning in this treehouse.
Tsala Treetop Lodge, The Luxury Villa Treehouse – The Best Garden Route Treehouse in Plettenberg Bay
Source: Booking.com, Tsala Treetop Lodge, The Luxury Villa Treehouse, Garden Route
This Garden Route luxury villa treehouse is a perfect getaway in one of the best treehouse hotels in the African bush. We loved that it was secluded from other tree houses with plenty of privacy among the surrounding trees. The resort has all the amenities, including room service, a restaurant, a bar, and other services upon request.
Our treehouse was stunning, with a luxury bathroom and soaking tub, floor-to-ceiling windows in the bedroom, a private deck, and a swimming infinity swimming pool. We loved the convenience of both indoor and outdoor showers. We experienced an extraordinary sunrise from the treehouse.
We chose this rental as one of our best treehouses because of all the great comforts and privacy. Here are the reasons you’ll want to stay here:
- Natural surroundings: The Luxury Villa treehouse has stunning panoramic views and is surrounded by lush trees for ultimate privacy.
- Luxury amenities: The tree house has a private infinity pool, outdoor shower, soaking tub, spacious balcony, floor-to-ceiling windows, and more.
- Service: The staff is friendly, and there is great service at the restaurant and bar, just a short walk from the tree house.
This treehouse rental is lovely, and my boyfriend and I had an amazing time. However, the restaurant menu could include more options because eating their several days can get boring.
- Relax in your private infinity pool.
- Enjoy your morning coffee from the private deck and forest view.
- Relax in the comfortable bed with floor-to-ceiling windows.
- Order room service, or enjoy visiting the resort restaurant and bar.
- The restaurant menu needs more options.
Driftwood Treehouse by the Sea – The Best Magnificent Views Overlooking Kwelera Nature Reserve, East London
Source: Airbnb.com, Driftwood Treehouse by the Sea, Kwelera Nature Reserve
My boyfriend and I loved this one-bedroom, one-bath Driftwood Treehouse with a simple interior and beautiful nature reserve location. It’s perfectly spacious for two people with an open plan kitchen area, en suite bathroom, and spacious bedroom with a balcony.
We loved having a BBQ grill and spent the nights at the fire pit. There is a shared pool. The East London location was perfect for all outdoor activities, including swimming, hiking, wildlife observation, and bird watching.
This rental is one of our favorite tree houses because of its location and privacy. Here are more reasons to book it now:
- Amenities: The tree house has all home-like amenities, including a fully equipped kitchen, shared pool, a fire pit, BBQ grill, beach access, and a beach shower.
- Location: The property is right on the sea, with beach access and the Kwelera Nature Reserve, just a short walk from the tree house.
- The hosts: Claire is a friendly and attentive host who helped us find fun nearby activities.
This treehouse was a great place to experience the simple life of South Africa. We loved everything about it. The only problem was that the rental didn’t have air conditioning, and the nights got hot and humid.
- Enjoy wildlife and game viewing from the property.
- Gather around the fire pit to observe the star-filled skies.
- Spend the day at the beach.
- Light up the grill for a great outdoor meal.
- This treehouse doesn’t have air conditioning.
The Meerkat Treehouse at Luara Wildlife – The Best Large Group Luxury Self-Catering Treehouse and Tent Camp
Source: Airbnb.com, The Meerkat Treehouse at Luara Wildlife
This wonderful rental located on a farm has a perfect one-bedroom treehouse for couples, or you can rent the treehouse and tent camp for 12 guests. The tree house is built on a beautiful Tambotie tree and has great amenities. The location is also great, with the Kransberg Mountain Reserve and Marakele Wildlife Sanctuary nearby. I loved the nearby dam, where we saw many wild animals coming to drink water.
We appreciated the air conditioning and private backyard for grilling. The open bedroom area leads to the outdoor bathroom, with full privacy. There is a great forest view, and we loved walking to observe nature on the property.
This place is a perfect tree house and campsite for a large group of friends looking to be in a natural environment. Check out this tree house for the following reasons:
- Great property: This is perfect for couples or large groups of up to twelve people. It has all the amenities and space you could need.
- Wildlife: The area is rich with wildlife which is easily observed at the nearby dam, or you can easily visit the Marakele Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Amenities: The private property has modern appliances, air conditioning, a private balcony, a yard, and a swimming pool.
We loved staying at this tree house and found it relaxing and peaceful. However, stairs and a bridge separate different parts of the treehouse, so it involves a lot of walking, which may not be suitable for everyone.
- Observe the wildlife at the dam.
- Light up the BBQ for an outdoor family meal.
- Cool off in the swimming pool.
- Explore the nearby trails and go bird-watching.
- This rental is a multi-level treehouse with lots of stairs.
The Treehouse at Port Elizabeth – The Couples Hideaway with Spectacular Views of the Sea and an Outdoor Pool
Source: Airbnb.com, The Treehouse at Port Elizabeth
My boyfriend and I loved this two-bedroom treehouse at Port Elizabeth. The modern interior is comfortable, and the living room has beautiful french doors open to the spacious balcony and view. The outdoor seating area is private and perfect for meals and enjoying the sounds of nature.
I also loved lounging in the hammock and dipping in the swimming pool. The soaking tub is amazing, with plenty of privacy from lush tree branches. The location is a highlight, with Sardinia Bay Beach close by, where we spent much time on the sandy shore swimming, playing volleyball, and soaking up the sun.
This gem is one of our favorite South African tree houses because:
- Beautiful interior: The indoors and outdoors perfectly connect with large french doors, and the furniture is comfortable and modern.
- Modern amenities: The tree house has great WiFi, a fully equipped kitchen with modern appliances, a pool, and nearby beach access.
- Location: The property is surrounded by lush mountains and trees, yet right by the gorgeous Sardinia Bay Beach.
We loved staying at this modern treehouse so much that finding a fault was hard. However, ladders lead to both loft bedrooms, which can be difficult to use at night.
- Spend the day swimming and tanning at the beach.
- Enjoy a private meal on the secluded balcony.
- Light up the grill for fun outdoor cooking.
- Take a dip in the pool to cool off.
- Ladders access the bedrooms.
The EcoTreehouse – The Most Secluded Couples Hideaway in the Lush Green Hermitage Valley
Source: Airbnb.com, The Eco Treehouse in lush Green Hermitage Valley
This Western Cape town one-bed, one-bathroom treehouse was a perfect getaway for the two of us. The tree house is located in the Hermitage Valley with lush forest all around and provides amazing amenities. We loved the wood-fired hot tub, sauna, comfortable queen-sized bed, and fully equipped kitchen.
We loved swimming in the nearby dam and saw a lot of wildlife. We even cooked a horseback trail ride, walked, and biked on the dirt tracks. Relaxing in the hammocks was peaceful and relaxing.
Don’t miss out on this Western Cape town tree house with great outdoor activities and luxury comforts. Here are more reasons to love it:
- Outdoor activities: This Green Hermitage Valley location is perfect for horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking, and exploring trails for wildlife and birds.
- The hosts: The hosts are very accommodating and attentive. They will help plan activities and be your guide for many things.
- Great amenities: We loved the wood-fired hot tub, sauna, spacious and clean bed, and full kitchen with modern appliances.
The Eco Treehouse rental is truly a special place everyone should visit. However, there is no air conditioning and no washer in the rental. We would have appreciated a place to wash our clothes.
- Soak in the wood-fired hot tub.
- Go on a horseback riding trail.
- Try some biking on the dirt trails.
- Prepare a romantic meal and eat in the outdoor seating area.
- This rental doesn’t have air conditioning or a clothes washer.
Wrapping up: The Best treehouse experience in South Africa
South Africa’s treehouse accommodation is your ticket to a serene, nature-packed escapade. These distinct, off-the-beaten-path treehouses present captivating views, wildlife encounters, premium features, and beachside access from their tranquil sites.
My partner and I invested a considerable amount of time selecting our top picks among these treehouse holidays in South Africa. With this careful selection, we’re confident in presenting the cream of the crop, promising an unparalleled experience for all traveler types.
So, delve into the details and discover your dream treehouse stay in South Africa! Revel in unique stays, opt for eco-friendly treehouses, experience luxury, or immerse yourself in the wilderness with a jungle treehouse. Embark on a South Africa treehouse safari, choose from the top treehouse vacations, or find affordable treehouse rentals for your journey. Maybe a romantic treehouse is what you desire, or you’re seeking a secluded treehouse. Explore the possibilities of a treehouse resort or a treehouse lodge. Even an Airbnb treehouse could be your ideal hideaway. Remember, South Africa glamping treehouse options are there to elevate your trip, offering you the ultimate treehouse experience.
Top Treehouse Rentals in South Africa
|Pezulu Tree House Lodge (Family Bungalow)
|Outdoor pool, two bedrooms, room service, bar garden, game reserve tour
|Great space, amazing view, organized tours, many amenities
|Teniqua Treetops, One-Bedroom Suite
|Knysna, South Africa
|Jetted tub, large deck, shared swimming pools, bar
|Luxurious views, great location, unique handmade
|No air conditioning
|Tsala Treetop Lodge, The Luxury Villa Treehouse
|Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
|Infinity pool, outdoor shower, soaking tub, restaurant, bar
|Natural surroundings, luxury amenities, great service
|Limited restaurant menu
|Driftwood Treehouse by the Sea
|Kwelera Nature Reserve, East London
|BBQ grill, fire pit, shared pool, beach access
|Wildlife viewing, beach access, fire pit, BBQ
|No air conditioning
|The Meerkat Treehouse at Luara Wildlife
|Thabazimbi, Limpopo, South Africa
|Air conditioning, private balcony, yard, swimming pool
|Wildlife observation, great for groups, modern amenities
|Multi-level with lots of stairs
|The Treehouse at Port Elizabeth
|Port Elizabeth, South Africa
|Swimming pool, french doors, private balcony, beach access
|Proximity to the beach, modern interior, private amenities
|Bedroom accessed by ladders
|Hermitage Valley, Western Cape
|Wood-fired hot tub, sauna, queen-sized bed, fully equipped kitchen
|Outdoor activities, accommodating hosts, great amenities
|No air conditioning, no washer
What amenities do South Africa treehouse rentals offer?
Most South African treehouse rentals offer spectacular views, beach access, amenities like a fully equipped kitchen, spacious bedrooms and bathrooms, outdoor seating areas, and more. Some treehouses and treehouse hotels offer luxury amenities like saunas, spas, hot tubs, and swimming pools.
What’s the best treehouse rental in South Africa with a gorgeous view?
The Driftwood Treehouse by the sea has magnificent views overlooking Kwelera Nature Reserve and the sea. There is easy beach access from the property and useful amenities like a beach shower. The simple one-bedroom, one-bath also offers a BBq, fire pit, shared swimming pool, and a fully equipped kitchen.
Where is the Driftwood Treehouse rental located?
The Driftwood Treehouse is located in the Rainbow Valley region in East London, South Africa; it overlooks the Kwelera Nature Reserve and has beach access. The property is nearby restaurants and grocery stores, only about a 5-minute drive from the treehouse.
Last Updated on October 27, 2023 by Brian