My boyfriend and I adventured this summer on a great road trip through Alabama. We enjoyed all the natural beauty, but mostly we explored great spots to stay, specifically treehouses!
Though I was initially skeptical, we found great options after doing a lot of research, exploring treehouses throughout the state, and talking to the locals.
We carefully planned and pre-booked our treehouses intending to find unique, secluded, romantic, and comfortable places to stay. We visited some great places in the mountainside of Mentone, Crane Hill, Lake Martin, and Marshall country.
Our choices ranged from treehouses near the city and conventional comforts to secluded treehouses on spacious and remote land.
That’s why we decided to write this article and share our experiences, recommendation,s and personal thoughts so that you can make the best decision for you.
After lots of research and travel, we have ranked our favorite treehouses in Alabama according to comfort, amenities, the overall feel of the property, available activities, cleanliness, and service.
Believe me, all of these choices offer a great experience, so just read carefully and pick your favorite. These are the best, so you can’t go wrong!
So let’s get started with picking the perfect treehouse for you!
Intimate Treehouse Retreat for two by Mentone – Romantic treehouse getaway
My boyfriend and I were lucky to spend a romantic weekend getaway at this treehouse tucked away in the mountains. The location was superb and close to all the great content of Mentone (about 2 miles out), yet we felt like we were in a secluded wilderness. Beautiful trees and lush native plants surround the property. It has a gorgeous deck and terrace that are spacious and perfect for barbecuing or just lounging around—an ideal spot for peace and quiet.
The inside was so warm and cozy, with everything we needed for our stay. I loved the rustic decor and details. Everything is well-planned, and the space feels smooth. There is a lot of great artwork as well. The bed was incredibly comfortable, with plenty of hot water, and everything was clean. It had a fully equipped kitchen (including necessary dishes), great Wi-Fi, air conditioning, parking, and plenty of privacy. The hosts were friendly and checked in to see if we needed anything. This is a property we will return to.
I loved spending time in this tree house. Here are just a few reasons why:
- The location: The treehouse is in a perfect mountain area surrounded by a forest. Yet it’s only about 2 miles from downtown Mentone. DeSoto State Park is also very close by (7.0 miles).
- Peaceful, cozy, and clean: The inside decor is rustic and feels warm and comfortable. Everything was clean, and the property was well-maintained.
- Amenities: The treehouse has it all. An excellent working kitchen has a microwave, toaster, and more. In addition, there is also Wi-Fi, air conditioning, an outdoor dining area, and laundry.
- Things to do close by This is an excellent location for additional activities. There is a Miracle Pottery Shop (on-site), Little River Canyon Falls Park (16.8 miles), DeSoto State Park (7.0 miles), and many more shops and restaurants.
Overall this is a great rental. Those who love to cook and prepare meals at home might get frustrated with the need for appliances and space. I would prefer a fireplace inside. They do have a fire pit outside.
- The peaceful surroundings: The treehouse is surrounded by large trees and tucked into the mountainside.
- The cozy and intimate decor: The treehouse is perfect for a romantic stay, decorated with comfortable furniture and many great details.
- The excellent location: This treehouse is close to lots of content, including downtown shopping and restaurants.
- The balcony: There is a great outdoor balcony with spacious seating and a patio.
- The kitchen space for cooking is small if you stay longer or love to cook.
- The Wi-Fi could be stronger in certain parts of the treehouse and balcony.
WANDERLUST TREEHOUSE Romantic couples getaway – Secluded property perfect for honeymoons and Anniversaries
This is a truly unique and special property tucked away on a 40-acre property, with nature trails and a 2-acre lake. It is my close second pick, and we will be revisiting this treehouse. The property is peaceful, and the treehouse is spacious and complete with everything we needed. The property has a great bedroom, comfy bed, full bathroom, and kitchenette. For us, it had all the amenities we were looking for, including a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, fire pit, large parking area, and a great grill.
We had so much to do here, including taking walks on the vast property, enjoying reading and having relaxing drinks on the balcony,y and even visiting the nearby Lewis Smith Lake. Sitting outside in the mornings, we could enjoy birds singing and even deer passing as we enjoyed our morning coffee. I also loved the decor; it was a mix of a cozy cabin and a modern apartment. There is also perfect outdoor lighting and seating next to the firepit, perfect for summer nights. With so much space, we felt relaxed and far away from everyday stress.
This is a perfect getaway spot for couples. This is why:
- Secluded property: This 40-acre stretch of land has everything you would need for romance, including walking trails, beautiful lush trees, a small lake, a firepit, and more. It’s so large that you will forget the outside world exists.
- Great amenities: Both the outside and inside of the property has all the needed amenities for a relaxing and luxurious stay, including a balcony, outdoor romantic lighting, and details throughout the treehouse itself.
- Cleanliness and service: The owners (Mitzi and Brad) were very professional and respected all our requests and accommodations. The treehouse was really clean and well-maintained, including the large outside area.
This treehouse has a lot going for it. I didn’t like that it didn’t have a full kitchen, but a small kitchenette. This motivated us to go out and eat instead of preparing more meals together. Even though it was generally warm, I would have preferred some more blankets during the night.
- What you see is what you get. This property is exactly as it is in the pictures (even better).
- The cozy yet modern interior offers everything you need to feel comfortable, including well-placed activities like a record player, guitar, stunning bathtub, and more.
- Seclusion: This property is vast and peaceful as if the outside world doesn’t exist. There are trails to walk, or even better, drink your coffee from the balcony and watch forest creatures run around and the birds sing.
- Great outside seating: The firepit was a highlight for me because it was surrounded by great lighting and seating. We had a perfectly romantic summer night here.
- This property doesn’t allow pets.
- For a longer stay, some prefer a full kitchen for more comfortable cooking.
Charming Tree House Cottage on Lookout Mountain – The perfect Menatone getaway for romance
We recently stayed at this Charming Tree House Cottage on Lookout Mountain and had a fantastic experience. It is located on Lookout Mountain, surrounded by gorgeous lush trees and an outside seating area, including a fire pit. We were pleasantly surprised that the treehouse was even better than advertised. The interior is well-planned and spacious.
One of the standout features for me was the fully equipped kitchen which had all the necessary amenities, including a dishwasher, oven, refrigerator, microwave, and more. There are all kinds of kitchenware available for those who love to cook. The other highlight is the patio with garden views, perfect for enjoying my morning coffee or having an evening glass of wine.
The property is very close to the city, which offers all the modern shops and restaurants you might need for a comfortable stay. We went out one night and had a great dinner close by. Yet it is far away that you can forget the city exists. The treehouse is super comfortable and clean. Our communication with the owner was straightforward.
We loved staying at this treehouse, and here are the reasons:
- Calm, charming, and relaxing: From the outside setting to the interior decor, this treehouse is set up to help you unwind, relax and enjoy the calm natural surroundings.
- Private porch and patio: This treehouse has plenty of privacy, with a secluded porch and terrace for ultimate privacy. It’s a great spot to have drinks or enjoy a good book.
- Amenities: Unlike many properties, this treehouse has a full kitchen with a stove and oven. It also has plenty of dishes for cooking, a microwave, fridge, dishwasher, and other details for those looking to prepare their meals.
- Location: This property is perfectly secluded in the mountain, yet only a few minutes drive from the city. It offers the best of both worlds and provides quick shopping opportunities (if you forget an ingredient for that special meal).
One thing I could have done without was the pottery store under our treehouse. Even though it was fun spending some time there, it took away from our privacy. We are not big TV watchers (especially on vacation), but for some reason, we couldn’t find a comfortable spot from which to watch the TV. We found it easier to use our laptops and phones.
- This is a Very homey and comfortable place to stay. We felt safe and relaxed.
- The owners are very kind and friendly.
- The location is perfect for seclusion, yet close enough to the city.
- It’s a tranquil and calm property created to help you unwind and relax, with great space outside and inside.
- It has a full kitchen and an outside seating area.
- The TV could be bigger and better positioned (especially if it’s game night!)
- There is a pottery store on the lower floor of the cabin.
Wake up in a glass tree house – A luxury rental with waterfalls and swimming holes.
My boyfriend and I accidentally found this rental. And it was one of the best discoveries of our trip. The setting is as exotic as any island adventure you could imagine. We loved being so secluded in a rich forest with waterfalls and even swimming holes (that make for stunning pictures). This treehouse is a private estate, and we had full use of their boat. There was also a wonderful blooming garden and even funky chickens walking around.
One of the best surprises for me was the stunning sunset view from the porch. We enjoyed a lot of time sitting and eating while watching the sun go down. The colors were spectacular. Tome, our host, was friendly and knowledgeable. We had excellent communication with him, and he was extra accommodating. The interior of the cabin had everything we needed and was clean.
Overall this was a perfect glass tree house rental for us. Here is why:
- The waterfall: The sight of this waterfall makes you feel like you are on an exotic island. It’s a great place to spend time.
- Privacy and calmness: The property is well away from traffic and distractions. It’s perfectly calm and private to unwind and enjoy each other’s company.
- Fantastic view: Not only does the cabin offer amazing forest views in all directions, but we also enjoy stunning sunset views.
One thing that I didn’t enjoy was the path to the house. Being so secluded, it’s a country road, and you will need 4-wheel drive. Especially if it has been raining; also, when making your way to the waterfall, wear good shoes.
- I loved the waterfall and deep forest that surrounded us the entire time.
- The garden and chickens were fun and cute for me, and they kept me in great company when reading.
- I couldn’t resist watching the fiery sunset view each night.
- Our host was amiable and accommodating while still giving us privacy.
- The cabin had everything I needed for a comfortable stay, and I felt cozy and home.
- I would have preferred more modern furniture. Though everything was clean, there could be some upgrades.
- Getting to the treehouse is difficult since it’s in the forest and it’s a country road, and we should have prepared better.
Hawks Nest Treehouse Romantic Getaway On Creek
This treehouse was our off-the-grid experience, and we loved it! It was a real mental break, especially in such lush surroundings. The cabin was small and quaint, perfect for the two of us. The interior had everything we needed and was decorated in a rustic style. There was a great balcony where we enjoyed most of our meals. The highlight for me was the private hot tub.
We also used the fire pit, a great spot to enjoy the evenings and relax. The view of the river was relaxing, and I enjoyed the water sounds with my morning coffee and book. The deck has some great lighting in the evening. Our host, Christy, was very responsive and friendly. She told us about some great hiking trails nearby. This place is one we would love to visit again.
So why did we love this treehouse? Let me tell you:
- The off-the-grid experience: We loved that there was no TV and Wi-Fi here, so we could truly enjoy nature and all the beautiful accommodations.
- The extra perks: We loved the romantic lighting of the deck in the evenings, the private hot tub, and the fire pit.
- Location: Though this is a tucked-away treehouse in the forest, it is still close to some great restaurants, shopping, and hiking trails.
While we had a mostly positive experience, the inside of the cabin could have had more amenities and kitchen space. Like many of these rentals, they don’t allow pets, so we knew before our trip to leave the pups at home.
- I couldn’t get enough of soaking in the hot tub and enjoying the lush trees around us.
- Our host Christy was very responsive and helpful, helping us find great spots to eat nearby.
- The treehouse was charming and cozy.
- This is a truly romantic and intimate spot.
- It is nicely secluded with plenty of privacy.
- Like many properties, this is not a pet-friendly treehouse.
- It’s small and not accommodating for more than two people.
Coyote’s Treehouse On The Creek W/ Hot Tub Adult Romantic Getaway – Little treehouse perfect for couples
We fell in love with this creekside 228 sq. ft cabin for many reasons. This was our pick for our anniversary, and we couldn’t have been happier with our choice. I immediately fell in love with the secluded forest setting and trickling creek. A gorgeous and spacious balcony is also perfect for relaxing and enjoying your meals outside. We spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying drinks and conversation. There is also Albertville Golf and Country Club, which is nearby for those looking for an additional activity.
The treehouse is well planned out with a lovely bedroom, living room, bathroom, and kitchenette. We felt relaxed and secluded because the treehouse is located at the end of the road, away from any noise and traffic. And the highlight is the fantastic hot tub with a beautiful view of the creek. Other amenities we appreciated included the grill, which we took full advantage of. We even roasted marshmallows over a campfire. The owner Christy is friendly and lives close to the property (but will only bother you if you reach out that you need something).
As an added activity, we visited Jules Berta vineyard in Albertville, which was an excellent recommendation by the host. She also recommended we visit Guntersville lake state park, but we needed more time to visit. The treehouse itself is nicely decorated, clean, and well-built.
The top highlights of our stay here are:
- The fabulous setting: The treehouse is in a secluded forest at the end of the road. The great balcony overlooks a trickling creek, and there is a hot tub with a view as well.
- New and clean: The cabin is relatively new and well-maintained. Everything was clean and in working order.
- The location: The cabin is close, yet far enough from additional activities like visiting Guntersville lake state park, Jules Berta vineyard, and Albertville Golf and Country Club.
- The host, Christy, is amiable and accommodating.
Though I enjoyed the sound and sight of the creek, there was no good way to get to it. It’s a steep way down. It’s best enjoyed from the balcony.
- The comfort and convenience: The treehouse is newer and has all the comforts of home to make your stay comfortable and relaxing.
- The hot tub and balcony: These two features offer a gorgeous view of the trees and creek below. It’s a spot where you can spend hours on end soaking in the tub with a great glass of wine or having your morning coffee on the spacious balcony.
- The friendly host: Christy (who lives nearby) is a great host and super friendly. She gave us great suggestions for additional content and activities in the area.
- The location: the treehouse is at the end of the road and feels quiet, calm, and secluded. Yet there is plenty of content close by, including shopping opportunities.
- Getting to the creek is quite steep and challenging. It’s better to enjoy it from the balcony.
- No children and no pets are allowed.
Modern Waterfront Treehouse on Lake Martin! – The Best place to stay on Lake Martin
Though this is not your traditional treehouse, it is an excellent, beautifully placed lakeside rental. I loved the lush green trees surrounding the two stories and the beautiful deck looking out onto the lake. This is also the most significant rental we had, with two bedrooms, a full kitchen, a bath, and a large living room.
I especially loved the fun activities set up throughout the interior of the treehouse (like board games, a basketball hoop, and even a mini pac man arcade game). I also enjoyed all the elegant commodities, including quality appliances and a marble shower. This treehouse is a rear rental that allows children and pets. So, it’s a good family option for those with kids or dogs. If you have a dog, there is plenty of space outside for play around the lake and the well-manicured lawn.
One of my favorite activities was sunbathing on the deck and reading in the hammock. It was generally quiet, and I could even hear the birds singing in the trees. My boyfriend enjoyed grilling out by the lake, and he even took a swim a few times. Sitting out on a hot summer night here is priceless.
We loved this fun and unique property because:
- The location: Being right on the lake with a fantastic view and easy access to the water, this is unbeatable.
- The accommodations: The treehouse is spacious, modern, and full of carefully planned activities that can be enjoyed by all ages, including board games, a basketball hoop, and even a mini pac man arcade game.
- The comfort and convenience: This apartment has a fully functioning kitchen and bathroom. It’s comfortable with two large bedrooms and offers fun trails, swimming, and barbequing right on the water.
This treehouse is a fun property with lots of content. It lacked warmth and was decorated more for a family with children. I would prefer details aimed at adults.
- The location is perfectly set at quiet and tranquil Lake Martin.
- The treehouse is spacious, modern, and fun for the whole family.
- The owners are friendly and have good communication with their clients.
- A full kitchen and grill are available for those who love to cook.
- This rental is less secluded than the other options on the list.
- This treehouse is more of a family rental than a couple’s romantic rental.
Conclusion on best treehouses in Alabama:
Adventure and nature lovers will deeply enjoy renting a treehouse in Alabama. From personal experience, the state has some significant areas full of natural beauty and rentals offering calm, stress-free, and secluded vacations.
Treehouse rentals are ideal for couples looking for some alone time and romance. They are great for honeymoons, anniversaries, or even extended weekends.
Since Alabama has so many great offers, this article highlights my top four picks with detailed pros and cons. This is an honest review to help you make the best decision for yourself. So read carefully!
Frequently asked questions
Can you sleep in a treehouse in the forest?
Yes. Treehouses in the forest and mountains have become a popular rental option for those seeking privacy, seclusion, and time in nature. Most of the best treehouse rentals are fully equipped with bedrooms, a living room, kitchens, and fully working bathrooms. There are many advantages to renting a treehouse, including getting away from city stress and noise and enjoying some calm and quiet.
Treehouses located in forests also have other advantages, like hiking trails, trees filled with birds, and more. Most rental options have all the amenities needed for a comfortable and relaxing stay, with some perks like hot tubs, fire pits, grills, outside dining areas, and spacious balconies.
Where can I stay in a treehouse in the United States?
Many simple and luxury treehouses are available for rent throughout the United States. States rich in natural beauty like mountains, forests, and lakes are usually prime locations for treehouse rentals. Some of the most popular states include Ohio, Montana, Virginia, and even California.
We recently visited many treehouse rentals in Alabama on our road trip. We found terrific rentals that include large and secluded areas of land, creeks, lakes, and more. My favorites all had gorgeous outside seating, great views, fire pits, and peace and quiet in nature. They are ideal for those looking for a romantic weekend, a honeymoon, or an anniversary option.
Is a tree house safe?
Yes. Treehouses for rent are very safe. When built with care and the proper hardware, treehouses are just as safe as any other cottage or apartment rental. Since these rentals are constantly being visited and reviewed by everyday visitors, it is easy to find out in what shape the rental you wish to visit is in. Many of the luxury treehouses are relatively new and constantly being maintained. Even tree houses built in forests and mountainsides are just as safe as any other rental. However, they are cozier and warmer, offering a unique charm.
What are the disadvantages of a tree house?
Treehouses are usually secluded, cozy, and relaxing rentals found on the outskirts of cities or in the forests and mountains nearby. The disadvantage for some might be the vicinity to modern comforts (don’t worry, they all have Wi-Fi), or they might not be a nature lover. Because these treehouses are built partially on trees, they are usually smaller and better fit for couples (think one-bedroom apartments). Those looking for larger rentals or more people might feel uncomfortable in a treehouse. Still, if you check out my picks above, I am sure some of these rentals will knock you off your feet.
Last Updated on October 27, 2023 by Brian